Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My Honey-Do List

For the first time in our marriage I created a Honey-Do List! First thing on the list was to fix our doorbell. So I bought a pretty new faceplate at Home Depot as well as a new wired doorbell. With easy to install instructions on the back of the new stuff I thought we would be good to go after an hour...WRONG! There was about an inch of wiring coming out of the brick that was supposed to be what wrapped around the two screw to wire the doorbell. How in the world were we supposed to fit our fingers in there to wrap the wire around the screws, fit a screwdriver into the side of the new doorbell to tighten the screw to hold the wire down and then repeat for the other wire? On top of all of these issues, we couldn't find the breaker to turn off the electricity to the doorbell, so we were constantly getting electrocuted! At one point I went to get a silicon hot pad out of the kitchen to hold the doorbell as we attempted to get the wires onto the screws. Ryan had a better idea though, he came out with an oven mitt! Unfortunately, my battery in my camera died as he came out with his defense against the electricity! Here are a few pics of our doorbell adventure! Oh, did I mention that it was 101 degrees during this?

   

On to the next Honey-Do item.  (Please know that I was helping during all of these tasks!)  Our dinig room chandelier was absolutely heinous. I tried to make it better when we first moved in by masking its ugliness with black mini shades, as if mourning the disgusting-ness of it! 




 So I found a chandelier that I liked at Lowes that looked a lot like one in Pottery Barn that I thought was different. We purchased it and had Ryan's dad all lined up to come and help put it up. Well, see for yourself how it looked after all was said and done (I forgot to mention that I had to take the first one we bought back to a different Lowes because it was bent which we discovered after we had taken it out of the box and gotten everything unwrapped-geez!!).


Not long enough, right? I love the fixture but unfortunately it just didn't hang low enough to the table.

Take 2! We took it all down and boxed it back up. I found another one that I liked and 1 1/2 hours later (the instructions claim that the installation time is 20 minutes-ha!) here are the results!


I love it! Now every time I walk by my dining room I don't want to throw-up!

 



Hayes had fun too!  He enjoyed playing in the chandelier box, throwing things into the chandelier box, breaking up the styrofoam, and climbing up the ladder.



I bet my husband will be glad to go back to work this week! Little does he know I have a few more items on my list before school starts back...hehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment