Friday, October 8, 2010

Letter to Hayes

Hayes,

My Daddy was such an amazing man who worshiped everything about his little girls.  If I said that I loved pickles with whipped cream, he'd love that too!  He was our number one supporter and biggest fan.  He would have been your number one fan as well!    (He did however, make fun of my sister and me when we picked out bubble gum that came in a tube!).  Stand up for your family and always be an army for them!  The Gifford Army was (and still is minus one) a force to recone with!  My Daddy would drive my route to high school when it was rainy or a slight chill in the air to make sure our route to school was safe (all 1 mile of it!)!


Senior Night '98

My Daddy was a very simple man.  He wore jeans from Orschelins and didn't care for any fancy stuff.  Keep this in mind and always be happy with a simplified version of stuff!  Because it is just that, stuff!





My Daddy was great at golf!  He loved playing with his friends on the weekends and was a state champion in golf in high school.  On weekends I remember golf always being on the television, not football or another sport.  Golf really was his only athletic ability so any athletic skills that you have more than likely came from your daddy!


  
Our last family vacation to New York over Christmas...IT WAS FREEZING!!



My Daddy was so funny!  He always had a comeback or joke to add into conversations.  I always felt so proud making him laugh!




My Daddy kissed me goodnight every night, even when I was older and would come home from college for the weekends or a break!




My Daddy was tall and when I hugged him I'd always squeeze right around his middle where he would then make a noise like I was squeezing the air out of him.  Never miss the opportunity to give someone a good hug!  Hugging him is one of the memories that I can still feel.




Look for my Daddy in  butterflies.  When I was going over to my grandparents house on the day of the funeral, I was met at my car by a single butterfly.  I know this was him!  I still will see butterflies when nothing else is around and know that this is my Daddy telling me hello and that he is watching me.  There is something incredibly calming when a butterfly flies by.

Finally, my daddy loved music!  But not just any music...music by musicians that had talent (as he would say).  One of my daddy's favorite bands was The Eagles.  Every time a song from The Eagles comes on, I know that my dad is saying hello and he is watching over me.  One of the songs that reminds me daily that he is with me and the purpose of living my life daily without my daddy is the lyrics to the song Love Will Keep Us Alive.  Hayes, I hope that you will always know that there is a bigger force in life that will always keep you with me, much like I know my daddy is always with me.  "I would die for you, climb the highest mountain.  Baby there's noting I wouldn't do!  When you're hungry, love will keep us alive!"

Hayes Lane, you were blessed with an honor of receiving my daddy's name.  Although you don't know him, always know that you are constantly being guarded by your angel grandpa!

I love you more than you will ever know,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Tears in my eyes! That is the sweetest thing ever. How special and what a neat thing to show Hayes when he gets older. It is so neat that you noticed and remember all those sweet things about your dad. He sounds like an incredible amazing father and person! I bet you miss him so much. I bet you get even more sappy than most watching Hayes with Ryan, because you hope they will have that great relationship you obviously did with your dad! It always makes me sad that my grandpa (who i was very close to) never got to meet Finley- he died when i was pregnant, because I KNOW that she would have lit up his world. Im sure you feel the same kind of longing. what a blessing to have had such an awesome dad, even if he is gone too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Great pics as well!

    ReplyDelete