Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Accident!

We celebrated the July 4th weekend with our family for a cookout.  After dinner we went out to the front circle driveway so Hayes could show off his new Razor (more on that later!).  Well, I had gotten the brilliant idea that Hayes needed to do what every kid does on the 4th of July and play with sparklers and watch fireworks (fountains really).  So, we busted out the sparklers!  I remember as a kid loving to do this with my sister in my grandparent's backyard in anticipation of our homemade fireworks show and the grand finale of the country club's fireworks; so naturally Hayes will love this right!?  


Right from the start we noticed that the sparklers were very hard to light and would go out half-way down. Duds!  But we kept on and Hayes enjoyed watching Ryan, Justin and me twirling the sparklers with him.  Then it happened!!!  A piece of sparkler broke off from the already-burned top part and landed in Hayes' hair!  It then continued to smolder and caught fire.  I'm really not sure if Justin or Ryan ended up brushing it out; but by that time Hayes knew something was not right and started whining a little about his head being hot.  Poor baby.  We then got some water and ran our fingers through his hair to cool it down.  The front of his hair was a little black from being burnt and the burnt hair smell was going strong!  Since this has happened and I have told my story, so many people have filled me in on the fact that sparklers are on of the more dangerous fireworks...why did I not know this!?

My poor baby!

Take a look at the damage!!

But the show must go on!  So Justin and I showed him how to keep his arm straight and hold the sparkler away from his body!






Oh man!  At least it will make a good story someday!


No comments:

Post a Comment