Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hayes' 2 Year Check Up

Another year passed and our sweet baby boy is now a toddler.  Yes, we are experiencing the "Terrible Two's" on some days and some days it is the "Terrific Two's".  I am pretty sure that my child is not one of those kiddos that you hear about that are considered an "easy child".  Oh well, work with what you've got, right!  Don't get me wrong, he is the light of our lives...yet at times it is just challenging!  So, we went to visit Dr. Stacy for our 2 year check-up.  Right away, I was excited because he seemed right on target with his benchmarks that the nurse asks.  Can he:


-stack 4 blocks?
-take off an item of clothing?
-string together 2 words?
-climb up stairs unassisted?
-jump?
-is he a good eater?  NO!!!!!!!
-and several others I can't think of right now!


So in my mind we "passed" the first part with flying colors.  Then she asks, "How many ounces of milk is he drinking a day?".  Well...one in the morning, one or two at Nei Nei's house, one when we get home from work, and one or two during dinner.  I then asked, "Is that too many?".  Her reply:  "Well the recommended is 8-16 ounces a day."  OOPS!  As a mom of a child that doesn't eat, I felt okay about him not eating because he was drinking his milk and getting his nutrition that way.  OOPS!!  Then we did my favorite part with all the measuring and seeing his percentiles!  Here is what we came up with:


-Weight 32.8 pounds,  93%
-Length 37 inches,  97%
-Head Circumference:  19 3/4 inches,  86%
We still have a big boy!


Next, Dr. Stacy came in and told me all about the milk situation.  The new plan:  I can only give him 2% milk in the morning and at dinner.  She called his constant drinking "mindless sipping" which she think causes him to not be hungry.  In between he can have water or juice.  I'm thinking, oh dear this is going to be awful because he LOVES his "milt".  Well, several days into our new milk plan and he hasn't thrown fits to have milk in between and has eaten a little better.  So, maybe it will all work itself out and he'll start eating me out of house and home!  




Here are a few pictures of us waiting for Dr. Stacy.  


I love how they bribe the kids with Smarties after they do something to them!

Hayes did not love the bandaid, so he tried very hard to pull it off.

We are truly blessed with a healthy little boy!

2 comments:

  1. Brittany - He is just precious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for not being such a good eater, he sure is a good grower! So cute!

    ReplyDelete